This mission is specially dedicated to honor the 80th Anniversary of the flight across the Atlantic by Lithuanian-American pilots Steponas Darius and Stasys Girėnas. Therefore the satellite bears the name of the original aircraft used during this historic flight – “Lituanica”.
Official LituanicaSAT-1 website – http://www.kosmonautai.lt/
- To launch the first Lithuanian satellite into the Earth orbit;
- To carry out the first space exploration experiments for Lithuania;
- To test in space the technologies created by Lithuanians;
- To test renewable energy sources in space;
- To create new opportunities for business and education;
- To improve collaboration between Lithuanian scientists from all over the world;
- To take the first Lithuanian pictures from space;
- To start Lithuania’s journey to the outer space.